No matter where you are in your Weightloss journey…. Love and appreciate your body.
It seems contrary to the goal of Weightloss… Why lose weight if you love your body? Shouldn’t I hate my body to want to improve it?
The answer is NO. In fact, research has repeatedly found that people who dislike their bodies are less likely to lose weight.
You can and should love and appreciate your body and all the wonderful things it can do, even while acknowledging that the extra fat you carry is unnecessary and harmful to your Health and your self esteem.
So.. Think back on your inner dialogue today. Did it include constant negative thoughts like… ‘I’m fat, my arms are too fat, my legs are too thick, look at that disgusting belly’?
You are not alone. It has been found that many women have as much as 13 negative thoughts about their bodies every day. This gets internalized and impact your body image and self esteem.
The truth is that taking steps to improve your body image can help you lose more weight and maintain your weight loss.
Think about it this way… Someone who values and appreciates their car, whether it is a robust utility van or a streamlined sports car… is more likely to protect and take care of it. In the same way loving and appreciating your body will encourage you to get and keep it in good shape and good health.
The following activities can help boost your body image:
- Appreciate what your body can do,
- Think about the amazing tasks it performs on a daily basis
- Do something for yourself, such as getting a massage or manicure that pampers or rewards that body
- Surround yourself with positive people
- Stop comparing yourself to others, especially models in photoshopped magazines and filtered Instagram.
- Wear clothes you like and that fit you well
- Look in the mirror and say the things you like about yourself out loud.
So take that first step in appreciating your body and building self esteem today… Write down 10 amazing things about your body!