As stated yesterday, what better reason could there be to lose weight and ditch the ‘Fat pants’ forever than a longer, healthier, better quality life! Let’s look at some of the ways your TLC-Program and your weight-loss will add to your good health and longevity:
20. Better check ups: Carrying around excess bodyweight can put you at greater risk for a number of health issues (some discussed below). As you would imagine, slimming down has the adverse effect, making your annual check-ups with your doc a lot less painful.
21. Less prescription medicines: Realistically, the healthier you are, the less medicine you need. Not only does exercise and clean eating strengthen your immune system and support overall body functioning, but actually losing weight decreases your risk for health problems and may also get you to a place where you won’t need to rely on certain prescription meds anymore.
22. Reduced allergies: For some, carrying excess weight can exacerbate allergy symptoms. Added weight can strain your respiratory system, so any trouble you experience breathing due to allergies will only aggravate your symptoms further. Lose the weight and you might actually be able to breath a bit more clearly when allergy season hits.
23. You’ll live longer: an obese couch potato or an active, mindful eater, who would you guess might outlive the other? From the healthier lifestyle habits associated with weight loss to the actual physical benefits of carrying less weight, you put yourself in a position to live a healthier, longer life. A significant majority of researchers found that being 35kg+!overweight can shorten your life expectancy by 10-plus years. And 14-plus years if you’re 45kg+ overweight.
24. You’ll Have a Better Quality of Life: a healthy weight doesn’t just increase the amount of years you’re on this earth, it makes you better able to enjoy them. Only a few kgs of excess weight can rob you of two decades of healthy life. That means two decades of doctor’s appointments, medical treatments, living with pain, and being out of breath, instead of, say, running around outside with your kids.
25. Chronic and Dread disease risk is reduced:
Fat, especially belly fat, is filled with cells that release pro-inflammatory substances into your body, which means your immune system is too busy to fight off other types of inflammation. This increases your risk of anything with an -itis (arthritis, dermatitis, colitis). Lose weight and you’ll see many of the aches, pains, rashes, and other discomforts subside.
-Risk of Cancer:
Being obese increases your risk of at least seven types of cancer: bowel, breast, gall bladder, kidney, pancreatic, throat, and uterine. In fact, your risk of developing one of these cancers is approximately 40 percent higher than if you maintained a healthy weight, according to Cancer Research UK. The reason? That same chronic inflammation we mentioned before.
-A Stronger Heart:
Excess fat around your heart or lining your blood vessels makes blood flow difficult and increases your risk of a heart attack. Every 5 point increase in BMI increases mortality from cardiovascular events and diseases 30 percent. But as you lose weight, blood flow becomes easier, lowering your risk of heart disease.
-Risk of Diabetes:
By eating a healthy clean TLC diet, you’ll reduce your insulin load and risk of diabetes.
Final Thought: Everything in the body is interconnected, so losing weight and permanently ditching your ‘fat pants’ isn’t just going to help your self-esteem, your heart, your brain, or just your immune system. Your whole body and your whole life is going to reap the rewards.